- Size and weight Pickleball balls are typically 2.87 to 2.97 inches in diameter and weigh 0.78 to 0.935 ounces.
- Material Pickleball balls are made of plastic and have holes in them to make them go slower. The holes also help the ball to move through the air more smoothly.
- Color Pickleball balls can be any color, but they are typically orange, yellow, or white.
- Bounce Pickleball balls should bounce between 30 and 34 inches when dropped from a height of 78 inches.
- Durability Pickleball balls should be durable enough to withstand repeated hits without breaking.
There are two main types of pickleball balls: indoor and outdoor. Indoor balls are typically made of softer plastic than outdoor balls. This makes them easier to control indoors, where the air is more still. Outdoor balls are made of a harder plastic that can withstand more wear and tear.
When choosing a pickleball ball, it is important to consider the type of surface you will be playing on and your own playing style. If you are a beginner, you may want to choose a softer ball that is easier to control. If you are an experienced player, you may want to select a more rigid ball (harder) that has more bounce.
How to Choose a Pickleball
Here are some additional tips for choosing a pickleball ball:
- Consider the surface you will be playing on. If you will be playing indoors, you will need a different ball than if you will be playing outdoors.
- Consider your own playing style. If you are a beginner, you may want to choose a softer ball that is easier to control. If you are an experienced player, you may want to select a more rigid ball that has more bounce.
- Read reviews of different pickleball balls before you make a purchase. This will help you to choose a ball that is right for you. I like the Franklin 40. The Dura Fast 40 is a popular tournament ball. I also suggest playing with the Pro ball from PCKL known as the Elite 40 and the neon yellow ProPenn pickleball.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As you play more and more, it might be a good idea to get a pickleball caddy. You can store your pickleball in it and take it to the courts to practice your pickleball serve and other shots. We like and use the Tourna Pickleball caddy. It is our favorite pickleball basket! They come in a few sizes.